Day 7, Sedanka Middle Camp

Friday July 29

Sedenka Middle Camp

Today 0 km, Total 3689 km

The Sedanka middle camp is the most rustic of all the camps,it is none the less comfortable, the cabins, shower room and toilets were on the mid terrace of the river with the cook house and accommodation for the staff on the upper terrace. There is currently a new shower/drying room under construction.

View of the Cabins from the Cook house
View of the Ablutions block and river

The fishing this day was on inflatable boats powered by 30HP jet outboards, the use of Hamilton type jet attachments on the outboard motors is the standard practice in the fishing camps in Kamchatka, the main reason is they draw about 5 cm blow the bottom of the boat and if they hit a rock they are not damaged. As I discovered the sound of the motor hitting a rock was a common one.

We motored up Motor upstream to fish the water we had passed but not fished the previous day. The morning fishing was steady with several decent rainbows landed, the highlight was probably one of the spring fed creaks that we stopped at, the water was welling up from the ground out of the laver beds, it was crystal clear, drinkable and at fridge temperature.

Cold spring Creek

In what turned out to be the final stop for the day we had seen a number of Chum Salmon in a lie and decided that we would attempt to catch some (one). We all attached streamers of some sort, I used the black and white Dali Lama. we spread ourselves out, I was on the north bank in the down stream position while Oystein and Alex were on the south bank equally spaced above me. My plan was to start to swing my steamer about 5 m upstream of the pod of Salmon, do two casts and move down a step, continue doing this until I bumped one on the nose and annoyed it enough so that it would attack the fly.

On the first cast I lost a solid fish and landed a 20 inch rainbow on the second, this continued, I was getting a take every cast and landing fish at regular intervals. The landing of the rainbows was relatively simple as I was fishing my 8 weight Greys with a 0X tapered leader and a 15lb tippet, I could just pull them in. After about 5 min a “Oy why aren’t you moving down, we will be on top of you in two casts”,  reply “I would if I could get my Streamer through the trout and in front of the Salmon”.  It took me half an hour to work through the pool in which time I had landed some 14 decent rainbows but no Salmon.

Once I had passed the salmon lie, skipped ahead and I switched back to my 6 weight Hardies with a 1X leader and 12lb tippet and fished a mouse (Mr Hanky), I continued to have reasonable success. Oystien worked the gap between me and the Salmon lie (also with a Mr Hankey)  with considerable success, every time I looked back he was landing or loosing a fish. Once I had finished my stretch of the river, Jordan (the guide) suggested that I run the streamer through the pool the Oystein had just fished, to see if I could pick up a big rainbow that had been ignoring the Mouse. I worked my way down the pool picking up a few useful rainbow but nothing huge, as I neared the end of the pool, I probably had another 5 or so casts to cover the rest of the water, I hit a large fish. There were no exploratory taps, just thud “I’m here”. It was big and strong, it didn’t get aerial like most of the rainbows, I was hoping that it was one of the Chum Salmon that we had been chasing earlier. Some ten minutes later it was in the net, my first Salmon, a 24 inch Sockeye, I was ecstatic. We were quite surprised that it was a Sockeye as we had mainly seen Chum in the river. It was a great way to end the day, in the hour and a half I had landed over 25 fish including my first Salmon.

My first Salmon, a Sockeye

When we got back to camp we toasted my first Salmon with vodka as we were out of beer. The beer had not been sent on the helicopter with the rest of the provisions and there had only been some leftovers at camp one. No beer in camp was a major problem, but being as resourceful as they are the camp crew had a plan, a couple of Sat phone calls it was underway.

Fishing Rods ready for action and Bob contemplating the world

Anatole organised some beer to be available in Tigil which is a small township some 90km downstream of Camp 3, during the day Little Sasha (the camp hand from the lower camp) would then take a Jet boat from the Lower Camp down river to Tigil pick up the beer and return to the Lower Camp. Then once we had finished the day’s fishing Big Sasha (guide) took one of the inflatable jet boats down to the Lower Camp and shuttled the beer up to the Middle Camp “no worries the plan works

The first sign of beer arriving

In the mean time Brian took his “no it’s not a drone” Areal Photography Vehicle and got some areal shots of the camp and river. Apparently it must not be refered to as a drone as many people associate drones with the (American) military and he would not be able to get it through customs (or even get arrested) in many countries if the documentation said drone. so I am now edumicated it is a APV not a drone.

A classic portage of beer!!!

The Beer arrived, dinner was eaten, fire was warm, the midges went to bed at dusk, we were all happy.

Fried Chicken and Potato for diner washed down with a shot of Sugar Free Aguaediente


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s